Dealing With Non-Allowable Items

27 April 2018
 Categories: , Blog


Moving companies are wizards when it comes to moving the precious valuables in your home. However, there are some things that your mover simply won't move. Your mover likely won't budge when it comes to moving anything that's considered explosive, corrosive or flammable. Perishable items like meats and plants are also a no-go for most movers.

So how do you handle the items that end up on your mover's list of non-allowable goods? The following offers a few alternative measures you can take.

Shipping by Mail

One way to circumvent your mover's non-allowables list is by shipping those items through the mail. Shipping works best for personal items your mover doesn't want responsibility for, including personal records, photographs and other items with sentimental value. Reputable carriers like UPS and FedEx offer tracking services, allowing you to keep tabs on your packages as they travel to your destination.

Shipping by mail also has its own set of limitations to consider. The USPS has strict rules concerning firearms shipped by those without a federal firearms license. Non-FFL holders can ship a rifle or shotgun to another unlicensed person in the same state, but handguns are prohibited. Such limitations can impact your ability to send non-allowable items to your new home.

There's also the potential for your items to be lost in the mail. Fortunately, you can have your packages insured to recoup most of the value of your lost packages.


Another way to move non-allowable items is to simply move them yourself. That means loading up your own personal vehicle with the stuff your mover won't deal with. This method works best if you have small quantities of non-allowable items you want to bring along for the move. If you have a box of spare batteries or a small bag of charcoal you don't want to part with, you can simply transport these items in your own vehicle.

Self-transportation is also ideal for moving houseplants from one home to another. You'll have complete control over how your plants are fed and watered, plus you can take the proper precautions to shield your plants against extreme temperatures.

The amount of non-allowable stuff you can transport on your own depends on a variety of factors -- most importantly, the size of your vehicle. After all, you don't want to defeat the purpose of hiring a mover by renting a moving truck for all of your non-allowable items. Some non-allowable items, including firearms, can't be transported across state lines without the proper permits or documentation.


There are times when you can't take it with you. Certain non-allowable items, including poisons, pesticides and cleaning solvents, can be difficult and sometimes unsafe to transport on your own and these items are often prohibited from being shipped via mail. In cases like these, your only option is to dispose of these items in the safest way possible.

Pesticides, corrosive chemicals and other hazardous materials should be thrown away according to your local municipal rules and regulations. Look for a designated drop-off location in your area. For instance, your local auto parts store or auto repair shop usually accepts used antifreeze and motor oil for disposal.

Meats, cheeses and other foods with an exceptionally short shelf life should be thrown away on long-distance moves. If you're moving from one side of town to another, you may get away with keeping these items on ice, but it's a risky move with not much reward. Don't forget that you can also donate certain non-allowable items to your local charity organization. Frozen foods can be donated to a food pantry capable of processing refrigerated items, for example.

These are just a few of the alternatives to consider when dealing with non-allowable items during your next move. For more information, contact local movers such as Taurus Moving.